Monday 7 January 2013

Guest Blog: What do my pelvic floor and job prospects have in common?


.


 .... I fear they’ve both been shot by having kids


I recently interviewed for a new job in Switzerland.  The interview was held in London and to my delight, the conversation quickly advanced to discussing details about relocation. Not only was the job in my dream location, but the role and the boss seemed fantastic.

As the conversation progressed, a second interview with another Director was suggested and would be set up the following week. The plan was to fly me to Switzerland for the next stage. And on the topic of relocation, I was told, “It’ll be no problem initially as we would just put you up in a hotel until you can find somewhere to live”. 

Yep, I definitely thought the interview was going well. I replied that ‘I’ was actually four, as I have two children and a partner (and I’m pretty sure there are morals, if not laws, about just skipping the country without them).  Surprise was quickly followed by a commitment to get HR to contact me next week to help with knowledge of schools etc.

I left Kensington beaming and I travelled home excitedly researching Swiss properties and schools (and imagining my impending fuller figure from a new diet of fondue and chocolate). Premature? Hmm, maybe, but it was a pretty good way to leave an interview wasn’t it?

I spoke to my Dad that evening, who was concerned I had dropped the ‘I-am-a-Mother” bombshell.  I reassured him, stating that if it were a problem, then the role and company would not be right for me. (And anyway, a next interview was in place and HR would call me, so that clearly wasn’t an issue).

·         The first week passed. Must be very busy.
·         The second week passed. Yes, very busy indeed. And maybe ill from doing too much, propping up an incomplete team.
·         Week three. Perhaps they’re now on holiday. Or maybe the illness is more serious? How selfish of me to expect contact when they’re that poorly!

My over zealous imagination would have seen the dog dead, mother infirm and both arms in plaster, unable to lift the phone (let alone croak out the details of the next interview as advancing glandular fever would be ravaging the vocal chords). I knew something must have happened.

So I called.

Within 30 seconds I was advised “that despite my brilliant CV, unfortunately it’s not good news.” Someone with more relevant sector experience had been found.

How disappointing! The next 16 minutes & 23 seconds of the call were filled with advice my ‘dream boss’ had gained following our meeting;

1.       School opening times are a nightmare (closed Weds & every lunchtime). I would need a full time nanny to cope, especially as you can’t always leave work at 5pm.  And watch out, as an employer will be able to assess if you can afford an expensive nanny by your salary and judge if I’d be able to do the job.

2.       Then there’s shopping, which is not 24/7 like in London. Working, managing a kids’ schedule and doing the shopping would be incredibly difficult.


3.       Don’t commute! Live and work in the same place, as adding a train journey to points 1 & 2 would just make things impossible, as transport links aren’t very good.

4.       And consider not mentioning your family to the next interviewer. Not that that had made any difference in this case of course, but you never know.


During the call I felt the need to interject. I have managed to juggle kids, childcare (at a painful £1,350 per month), shopping and have thrown in an hours’ commute for good measure, whilst working in demanding roles in London. Also, international schools are open all day and I have a partner to share these things with.

I wondered how Swiss families managed to work, have kids AND eat all in the same week! Those professing a higher quality of life in Switzerland were clearly mistaken. We parted the call exchanging wishes of future success.

It took me about 10 minutes (and a glass of wine) for a conspiracy theory to take hold in my head. Was I really pipped at the post by someone with more relevant experience?  Or (please no), was my Dad right?

The role had been re-advertised that morning, so had it really been filled? My partner asked me if I had any regrets in having children, as he believed the job would be mine if I had less ‘baggage’.

Amongst the disappointment of my Swiss bubble being burst, was disbelief. Yes, time had elapsed since the interview, but it hadn’t been left as “we’ll be in touch”, but rather with a pledge to fly me over and manage initially with being put up in a hotel.

To top it all off, I was shocked at how I’d been misled.

Shock may seem a strong word to use.  But you see, my interviewer was a woman. An English woman. And about the same age as me. A fellow member of the 30% club*, which surely boasts the more enlightened in society, striving for more women in business and to break barriers of gender-biased thinking?  Shocked that surely I hadn’t been just been ‘dissed by the sisterhood’ for the beautiful baggage I have created by way of a family?

 
Would I have been less affected if I had been dealing with a man? Possibly.
Would I have been as open about mentioning my family in the first place? Probably not.

Knowing that I may have been less upfront if I were talking with a man is telling.  And I clearly had different expectations of how that information would be treated.  I obviously had preconceived ideas on the level of empathy or degree of judgment I would be afforded in speaking to a fellow woman.

All of this is academic. As after all, I was out-shone by a candidate with more relevant experience. Re-advertising the role must have simply been an administrative error on their part.

One thing I have learned is to err on the side of caution. In future I will keep information sharing strictly to that concerning the role, as I fear the art of spotting those with stereotypical views on working mothers, seems as challenging as pinpointing that elusive pelvic floor muscle.

* The 30% Club was founded by Helena Morrissey and consists of individuals “committed to bring more women onto UK corporate boards, by supporting and encouraging successful women in business.”While the author of this blog is keeping her identity hidden, we'd both love to hear your thoughts, views, experiences. What would you have done and why? Have you faced this dilemma from either side of the table

No comments:

Post a Comment